Friday 31 May 2013

Storylines... would you read my book?

I am cold, the bone-chilling, ache all over kind of cold, that feels like ice in your veins, the chill burning right through to your marrow.  I try to move but my frozen body is unresponsive.  My eyelids, stiff and scratchy, opened slowly burning against the sharp iridescent light.  Why am I here?  What the heck is going on?  My head pounds as I try to force my brain to work, what is the last thing I remember?  I blink as a warm tear slowly slides from my eye, down my cheek and plops onto the cold concrete floor.

*

It was a crisp winter evening and I had decided to play hooky, skipping drama class, I went straight to the mall.  I felt like shopping.  The money gran had given me for my birthday was burning a hole in my pocket.  I couldn't decide what I wanted but, today I would spend some cash!  Maybe new shoes, or a cute skirt, maybe that bright red hair dye that mum had never let me use.  Who cares, I have time, I am an independent young woman and for a change, I have money to burn!

Moments later, I bounced along with three shopping bags, my hand chilled from a frozen coke my belly warmed by unhealthy chicken nuggets - yum!  I felt like a kid again.  It had been so long since I could splurge like this - I might have gone too far.  Oh well, toast is a sufficient meal when the coffers are empty, so long as the rent is paid, it'll be sweet, I thought casually.

As I walked out of the mall I was stunned to see that night had fallen and the car park was near vacant.  There was a chill in the air and rain had settled in, light as mist.  My cute, little, yellow mini cooper waited for me, alone in the hazy dimness.  Beyond, the tree line was black as pitch and there were fuzzy pools of light circling the street lamps.

As I walked towards my car I began to get that tingly feeling, like I was being watched.  My eyes jumped nervously from one shadow to the next.  I readjusted my bags and quickened my step. "Crap, where is everyone!" I muttered to myself.  I stopped and looked behind me, nothing. I straightened my shoulders and exhaled a slow deep breath, hoping to slow down my rabbit quick heartbeats.  By the time I reached my car, I was in full flight mode.  Terror, I am your bitch.

"Stupid, stupid!"  I admonished myself as I dropped my shopping into a puddle while I rummaged through my bag looking for my keys.  Images of horror movies flashed through my head, "a weapon, I need a weapon, how stupid am I?"  

"Ah-ha!" I exclaimed as I found my keys and pressed the unlock button with relief.  Grabbing up my wet shopping bags I tossed them into the car, jumped in and locked the doors.  "Safe", I told myself, taking a deeper breath to settle my nerves, I started the car and reversed out of my spot.

Cold, I cranked up the heater and pumped up my music.  Soon I was back in the zone and feeling stupid for overreacting like such a tart.  Safely on my way home, I chuckled to myself, thinking that I was such a chicken, "ha, well I suppose I am a drama queen!"  KT was singing about a big black horse and a cherry tree and I playfully tapped the gas to the beat along the unusually quiet road.

*

My hands were tingling as I slowly wiggled my fingers, I managed to curl myself up a bit but my traitorous body was still very sluggish.  I still couldn't remember what was going on but now wide awake, I was aware of all sorts of aches and pains and...  cable ties, much too tight around my wrists! "Shit!  Focus, what the hell is going on?" 

*

Home was a little cottage in Coatesville, I always wanted to live on a farm but my folks were suburbians, in more ways than one.  They were perfectly middle-ish.  Mum and Dad had been high school sweethearts, they had married in their twenties, had kids and worked all their lives. Now that we were all grown up; my sister and I that is; the folks had finally taken some time for them and gone on their very first OE. 


The wet curvy road glistened in my headlights like a snake, I hated driving this road in the dark, especially when it was wet.  Once again I told myself off for choosing to live in the country but my stubborn streak had won out.  Me and my dorky ideas!  I am not a reckless driver, in fact, the opposite is probably true.  If you are familiar with Wright Road you will understand my caution, it is absolutely the wrong road to race on.  The twists and turns are edged with bush and gullies that would swallow any car that dared to miss the narrow track.  So, it was a shock that, as I turned into the next curve I saw tail lights in the bush.  Instinct kicked in and with a screech of brakes I pulled as close to the side of the road as I could and put on my hazard lights. I pulled out my mobile phone and dialed 111, someone has come off the road!

As the number rang I climbed out of the car to see if I could help anyone.

*

That was all I remembered.  As these memories flooded back I felt even more confused and afraid.  How did I go from saving the day to helpless victim?  Why was my head so sore and above all, what will happen next?

2 comments:

  1. I like the storyline as well as the approach you use. The mystery of what has actually happened and what may be happening next is intriguing. Looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks anon, I am working my way through the book and there will probably be heaps of edits before I am ready to publish this one. It is really nice to have some feedback though.
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete