Tuesday 21 February 2012

Firstborn


As Meg was gently removed from my plundered womb, I heard the nurse say, “oh look, the cord is wrapped around her neck” (providence then that I had to have the c-section).  With that safely unwrapped, she was whisked away by the pediatrician for a quick check.  As soon as all was deemed okay they laid her on my chest.  My first little blood-link, flesh of my flesh, the emotions were overwhelming!  (Side note: I am adopted and so this was the very first face I had ever looked upon that shared my DNA).  There is really no way to do adequate justice to how I felt looking upon one of my greatest masterpieces!

Haydn went off with Meg to have her measurements and things and I remained behind having all my internal bits put back into the right places and then I was stitched up and wheeled back to my room.

In time, Haydn and our precious cargo were brought back to me.  There she lay in her trolley cot, all wrapped up and tiny.  We were so in awe that we just watched her for ever so long.  We were green and uncertain, wanting to touch but afraid that we would break her.  

In swooped a photographer, “Hello, would you like a photo of your new baby?” she asked in a much too loud and chirpy voice.  Of course, we agreed.  Then were stunned to see the said photographer, with no medical skills at all, promptly unwrap our priceless newborn and give her a little nudge waking her and then shooting off a flash into her astounded little eyes! “Okay, I’ll send that off to you as soon as I receive payment.  Bye now, and congratulations!”

Wow!  If that woman could touch our baby, surely we could?  We looked at each other and Haydn (with my permission) gently picked her up.  We both had little cuddles and then let her sleep some more.  Sweetness, tiny precious little sweetness...

I must have slept for a while during which the spinal block wore off, the pain explodes into an unfathomable range.  What the hell?  The nurses inform me that my Doctor has left for overseas, an emergency, I shall be attended by a locum.  I have previously stated I do not want to invite a lawsuit and so she shall not be named.

This woman walks in (I kidd you not) a black mini skirt and fishnets, long red finger nails and an attitude of “how dare you disturb me”.  My blood pressure was too low and so that meant that she would not give me any pain medication, she half sat me up and told me that figuring out the whole breastfeeding thing might distract me.  Let me say that sitting after a c-section, with no painkillers since the spinal block (where they cut open your belly, then tear through your stomach muscles and remove a baby from your womb) is worse than back surgery!  With tears rolling down my face I try to latch on my baby.  Either my breasts or my baby were broken – it did not work!  Grunting, she who must not be named, pulls at my nipple and then squeezes it in such a fashion that I thought she was trying to pierce it with her thumb (indignity – yes sir).
“Oh, well.  If your milk does not come in by tonight you can have Eglonyl” then, to the nurse, “No pain meds until her BP is back up to #$%^@! (whatever) and ring me if there is no change by 5pm” with that she walks out, not even a goodbye.  

The nurse came in and helped me to lie down again.  Sympathetically she suggested that since Meg was hungry, perhaps Haydn could give her a formula feed instead.  I was in pain and desperate to do something right and so I conceded and Haydn gave her a bottle.  No-one explained to me that once a baby has fed from a bottle that they may not take to the breast because they have to work much harder to get the same nourishment.

My BP improved and after about 8 hours I was given pain killers and things got better all around.  I learned how to bath, clean and feed my baby.  After 4 days in hospital we were released back into the wild.  Nappies and formula became my constant companions; my new fragrance was O’de puke fume!

Expressing milk...  Isn’t that a lovely turn of phrase?  Mmm, not so much when you have to milk yourself with a suction cup and a handheld pump!  I tried so many things but she was not at all interested in feeding from me.  It was important to me that she had my milk so that she would have the antibodies that I had lacked as a baby.  So I took the next logical step.  The Eglonyl kicked in but there was no chance that my little princess was going to suck on those things.  I wanted to do the right thing by my child and so I pumped and pumped and pumped some more.  I now have empathy for the humble cow.  I marveled at the manner in which a hot shower caused a deluge of white sticky stuff to shoot from my chest.  I am sure that I could achieve a distance of a meter and a half!  Ridiculous!  I had to keep a towel at the ready to protect my carpets for at least 40 seconds after my departure from a lovely hot shower.  From hot cloths to cold cabbage leaves (Google it if you want more details) my chest developed a life of its own.  After six weeks, I reverted to formula.

No comments:

Post a Comment