Tuesday 21 February 2012

Second time round,


Back to the story...
Ok so to recap, back to 23rd December 1999.   I had felt "a bit off" for a day or two and then it dawned on me that I was late, not late for work but L A T E!  I went to the pharmacy a bought a home pregnancy test, the old faithful that had confirmed Miss Meggie-moo.  Naturally, I was too anxious to wait for the morning, so when I got back to work I went straight to the loo.  After five minutes, there were two blue lines and an incredibly astounded me!

I calmly walked back to my desk and emailed Haydn.  If I recall correctly, I typed, “Just passed that test with two blue lines, eeeem hello?”  Within seconds, the phone rang.  “Yes.  No, I am not kidding.  I am going to ring the Dr now.  I love you too.  Bye”

The next morning I was at my Gynae’s rooms at 07h30, I was a high risk patient because of my previous miscarriage.  She did an internal scan and the news was not great, my world collapsed around me.  “No, please no.  Not again!”  I was about 3 weeks pregnant and the scan was not promising.  I was sent off for the bloods that do the qualitative hormone count.  By the time I got home, later that morning It was all over, I had started bleeding and I knew what that meant.  I curled myself up into a ball and gave work a complete miss, it was Christmas Eve and supposed to be my last day anyway.  

At around noon my doctor rang.  “The bloods look good, I think it may all be okay.”
“No, it’s not, I am bleeding, it’s all over” I replied.
“That could be from the internal scan, is the bleeding heavy?”  she asked.
“No, not heavy, but I haven’t got the courage to hope.” By now the tears were sliding down my face and my throat hurt like hell from the effort of holding in my sobs.
“The best thing for us to do is wait a day and then repeat the bloods again, if they are still climbing, then your baby is still growing and you are still pregnant” she sounded more confident than I felt.

I think that her confidence gave me some hope, I took a deep breath and we discussed a plan that included me getting medication to strengthen my cervix and Haydn and I still driving to Gonubie, East London.  On Boxing Day I would have a second blood test down there and we could take it from there.  Haydn and I discussed it and agreed that we were not going to tell everyone – especially if I was going to have a miscarriage for Christmas.  The dark days were back!

Christmas lunch was at mom and dad’s mountain house.  The day was difficult and after lunch we left for Gonubie.  This is an 11 hour drive from the Highveld down through the Free State into the Eastern Cape, it is a long journey.  We arrived at about 3am and went straight to bed, in the morning Nana looked after Meg so that we could catch up on some sleep.  Boxing Day was a public holiday, but it was also the day that I had to have the next blood test.   

The only blood lab open was at the hospital and so off we went.  After explaining to three people why I had to have the bloods done, a nurse came to me and explained that as it was a public holiday, they were only handling emergency cases and that I should rather come back tomorrow.  In true Tracy style, I lost the plot, “Do you mean to say that for me to find out if the bay inside me is alive or dead is not an emergency?” I enquired at the top of my lungs.  The nurse stammered and muttered, everyone in the waiting room shuffled uncomfortably.   

Before she could string a sentence together a Doctor rushed in and ushered us out of the waiting room and into a consulting room.  With a vague apology he told the nurse to do the bloods and tell the lab to put a rush on it.  With my adrenaline still pumping, bloods were drawn and we left with a promise from the Doctor that he would contact my Gynae with the result as soon as possible.  In the car I burst into tears, frustration and anxiety overcoming common sense. 

At about six that evening she called, “the blood levels still look good but unforturnately it is not conclusive because the test was conducted by a different lab and the counting methods differ, so to be absolutely certain, you will need to go back to the same lab again in 2 days.”  

Argh!  When will it end, I just wanted to know, one way or the other, was I or wasn’t I?  The stress was unreal!  Another two day wait, another blood test.  It all just seemed so cruel!   

The next blood test was quick and easy, the lab must have been forewarned as they were very professional and efficient.  On the 28th of December it was confirmed that the foetus was still growing and therefore the pregnancy was still viable.  But, to add to our worries the sonar scan measurements insisted that I had been 1 day pregnant when I had undergone, general anaesthetic to have kidney stones surgically removed.  This meant that our baby had been exposed to radiation from x-rays, etc, just 1 day into her creation.  

Once again, my doctor assured me that the amounts of radiation were not enough to be of major concern and that our baby was going to be fine.  But there was still that lingering worry that this little girl (we saw in the scan that she was a girl) who was still holding on to life, was not going to be normal.  At 36 weeks I went on maternity leave, it was Friday.   On the Sunday we took Megan to Emmerentia Dam for a day out, on her scooter.  It was hot, I felt so uncomfortable and tired it felt like I had walked a marathon.  The rest of the weekend went by in real discomfort.

On Monday morning I was dressed by 6:30am, Haydn teased me that I was on maternity leave, had my little porridge brain forgot?  “No,” I replied, “something is not right, I am going to the doctor”.  He laughed again and said, “well she is only coming out on the 18th so you may want to take some time to rest and stop worrying.  I am going to Vereeniging for a meeting today.  Call me if you need me.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment